Wednesday 29 October 2014

Take Heart

But immediately Jesus spoke to them, saying, ‘Take heart; it is I. Do not be afraid.’” Matthew 14:27 (ESV)

Take heart,” Jesus says. Don’t be afraid. Don’t doubt and have faith. Have you heard Him speaking this to you like He spoke to His fearful disciples?

I’m not sure exactly why, but those particular words used by some Bible translations touches me more than others. I think the words feel personal and real. I find them encouraging and comforting, as though Jesus calmly reassures, “It’s alright.”

Other translations use “take courage”, “have courage”, “be of good cheer”, “be of good courage” or “cheer up”, which are all valid and worth meditating upon.

Many times I’ve been comforted and encouraged by the Lord when I’ve felt doubts about His love for me, fears about my interest in heaven, or sadness about sin and whether I can be of any use to Him. At times this has been clearly supernatural, such as a peace coming over me that I was to distraught to even ask for, yet often it is through the encouraging words of family and friends.

Encouraging others is something I need to work on. I thank everyone who has strengthened me with words of life, truth and hope.

Our God is the God of All Comfort (2 Cor 1:3-7). Let Him comfort you and do not refuse, just as it is unwise to refuse His discipline. If circumstances are bleak, let God’s Word of Truth that you cling to arise within to take command of your emotions (this is not easy!). “Take heart,” Jesus says.

Jesus is Lord of the way I feel.” —Don Francisco.

Image: Public Domain

No comments:

Post a Comment