Thursday 9 October 2014

One Spirit

But he who is joined to the Lord becomes one spirit with him.” 1 Corinthians 6:17 (ESV)

I find this verse fascinating and profound. Just as there is something of a mystery regarding a husband and wife becoming “one flesh” (Gen 2:24; 1 Cor 6:16), so too there is something very deep about becoming “one spirit” with the Lord.

Holy Spirit Inside
Holy Spirit Inside

I think there is a special kind of intimacy here that goes way beyond what is ordinarily experienced between humans.

I believe when we’re born again (John 3:1–8), our spirit is renewed (Tit 3:5) and connected to the Holy Spirit. The Holy Spirit is God, just as Jesus and the Father are God. I suppose it’s sort of like joining “the Godnet”, which becomes our source of eternal life and communion with God.

Perhaps in ages to come, as we humans (made in the image of God [Gen 1:26–27]) become more and more like Jesus (2 Cor 3:18; 1 John 3:2; Rom 8:29), we will, in a way, become harder to distinguish between Him and one another. Jesus prayed we’d be one with Him and the Father just as they are one (John 17:21–23). This spiritual unity is hard to comprehend.

Have you thought about this before? It seems like there is much to explore.

Father, please help me to daily draw closer to Your Spirit. Thank You that you continue to reveal more of Yourself to me. I pray that I can begin to grasp and understand what it means to be one spirit with You, and the privileges and blessing that follow from that. In Jesus’ Name, Amen.

Image: Public domain

No comments:

Post a Comment